Home Forums Arabic الشاذلي: عنوان شخصي أو اسم شخصي؟

• الشاذلي: عنوان شخصي أو اسم شخصي؟

Nasrani updated 3 months, 3 weeks ago 3Members · 5 Posts
  • Nasrani

September 30, 2020 at 5:57 pm

مرحبًا بكم جميعًا وأهلاً وسهلاً

I am looking at some old data as part of a project I am doing at school. The current data set I am looking at consists of a bunch of names from Sudan, and I have seen a recurring word (I don’t know if it is a name or a title).

The item in question is the word الشاذلي

The definite article contained in this word is giving me trouble: is it a name, perhaps adopted from a pre- or extra-Arabic culture from Sudan, or is it a title? (The fact that it occurs, typically, as الشاذلي الشيخ doesn’t help.)

Does anyone have any insight about this?

شكرًا جزيلًا لكم جميعًا

• Lingualism 

October 1, 2020 at 6:24 am

I haven’t heard of this particular name before, but it does seem to be a surname in current use. I did a people search for الشاذلي on Facebook and a lot of people have this surname, in Egypt as well as Sudan, from what I saw. It’s quite common for surnames to contain a definite article. I also saw that الشيخ الشاذلي is the nickname for a place in Egypt (but not far from Sudan): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humaithara named after the scholar (and sheikh) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abul_Hasan_ash-Shadhili

• Nasrani

October 1, 2020 at 6:54 am

Awesome, thanks! I figured it was local to Egypt and Sudan, since I hadn’t heard of it before, but then I am not too versed in Egyptian/Sudanese culture or the linguistic patterns of either country.

• Nadine 

October 1, 2020 at 11:35 am

Many Arabic family names (surnames) have the definite article ال . Very common. It’s definitely not a title.

• Nasrani

October 1, 2020 at 2:19 pm

I think I’d seen surnames with the definite article الـ but I believe I’ve also seen it in given names (albeit far, far less commonly).

Perhaps the original data was entered inconsistently; rather than it being “اسم) الشاذلي)” as with most names from this particular data set, maybe these particular entries were listed as “الشاذلي (اسم).

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader