Home Forums Levantine Arabic Any resources for Jordanian Arabic?

• Any resources for Jordanian Arabic?

Nasrani updated 1 month ago 8 Members · 18 Posts
  • Nasrani

February 18, 2020 at 12:04 pm

There is surprisingly little that I’ve found that’s out there for Jordanian Arabic. I’ve found plenty on Syrian and Lebanese, and I know that the basic principles are the same but there are differences in pronunciation of various letters and whatnot (likely due to colonial influences).

I know there are TV channels that have Jordanian programming (Roya comes to mind) but I’m not sure I’m quite at that level yet.

اشكركم جميلاً

• Nasrani

February 18, 2020 at 6:29 pm

That should say “أشكركم جزيلاً” and not “جميلاً.”

I have fired my editor.

• Matthew 

February 20, 2020 at 1:09 pm

You’re right. There’s not a lot out there. I do remember a book by Clive Holes that I had ages ago and quite enjoyed. Just Listen ‘n Learn Arabic, and it’s based on the Arabic in Amman, Jordan. 

• Nasrani

February 20, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Thanks Matthew! Do you know if/where this book is still available? And based on the title I assume it has audio files of some sort.

I guess this is what Google is for right? [EDIT: I found it on Amazon. It’s one of the many next books to buy.]

Also, perhaps this could be a subsequent project for the Lingualism team – Jordanian/Palestinian Arabic, I mean. As mentioned elsewhere, “Levantine” generally will teach the Arabic of Syria and Lebanon – which are both good, but the pronunciation of phonemes in Jordan (particularly rural Jordan) differs from that of Syrian.

Thank you!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Nasrani.
  • David

February 21, 2020 at 2:05 am

Hello. Even if personally I am more on the Syrian/Lebanese side of the Force (and I was really happy with the publication of Syrian Arabic Voices), I wanted to mention a book on Palestinian Arabic I have used a bit, in case you have not seen it yet. It is “Colloquial Palestinian Arabic” by Nasser Isleem, and it includes recordings. The author has other resources on Palestinian/Jordanian (look for the book “Hakini Arabi”). You can find out more on his website.

• Nasrani

February 21, 2020 at 5:32 am

Thanks! I’ll check them out!

• Michael

February 22, 2020 at 11:04 am

I would definitely check out https://www.alexstrick.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-study-jordanian-arabic 

He hosts a podcast in Jordanian Arabic and this page has a wealth of resources (including the CGE YouTube series and the GLOSS site, which I think are both indispensable). 

• Nasrani

February 22, 2020 at 3:06 pm

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I am familiar with GLOSS and have used it before, but there’s bound to be some other stuff here I haven’t come across yet.

Thank you again sir!

• Sercan

February 23, 2020 at 5:39 am

Hello, 

there are not only differences between the pronunciation, but also between the vocabularies of those dialects. They are mostly the same, but there are still some words which are only used in Palestinian or Jordanian, and not in Lebanese and Syrian. For example the word هان (haan) which means “here” in Palestinian Arabic. It’s only used in Palestinian, not in Jordanian, Lebanese or Syrian. I’ve got a book which teaches Palestinian / Jordanian Arabic (mostly Jordanian) and my friend from Amman told me it is very accurate. It’s quite expensive though, but definitely worth it and it will help you to improve your Jordanian Arabic. I can also recommend the Arabic vs. Arabic book by Lingualism, which is going to help you to build a basic vocabulary for Jordanian Arabic. You should definitely check out the Anki Deck for Jordanian Arabic!

This is the book I was talking about: https://jamalon.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/36498695

You should also check their YouTube Channel which teaches Jordanian Arabic: https://www.youtube.com/user/CGEJordan

Other than that, I’d recommend you to download HelloTalk and search for Jordanian native speakers to practice with them, watch Jordanian movies, listen to Jordanian music on the app called “Anghami” which includes lyrics for almost every song on there.

Good luck and have fun!

Best regards

• Nadine 

February 23, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Hi Sercan,

You said that in Palestinian, the word “Haan” is used for “Here”. I just wanted to comment “Hon” هون is used for “Here” in Lebanese. So the difference is just in prononciation.
      Haan or Hon come from the MSA word “Hona” هنا

• Nasrani

February 25, 2020 at 12:25 pm

That is awesome. Thank you for all of these! Looks like I’ll have a busy few weeks ahead!

• Sercan

February 23, 2020 at 5:42 am

I’ve forgot to mention something else, the grammar is also a bit different. For example, Jordanian uses the ending “كم”, like in كيفكم? “how are you?” (pl.), while Lebanese and Syrian use the ending كن as in كيفكن؟ “how are you?” (pl.). And some other small differences. Hugging

• Alexandre

May 18, 2020 at 7:14 am

Hello,

there are some resources for Jordanian arabic, or for the Arabic dialects spoken in Jordan, as there’s not such thing as Jordanian Arabic (nor Syrian or Lebanese by the way). Clive Holes’ book Just Listen ‘n’ Learn Arabic is based on the dialect of Amman. Other resources, apart from those mentioned in other posts, are:

Diwan Baladna. The Unprecedented Spoken Arabic Dictionary https://www.amazon.com/Spoken-Arabic-Dictioanary-Diwan-Baladna/dp/B00K1W4RZG

http://www.diwanbaladna.com/book-2-language.html

Hakini Arabic: Palestinian and Jordanian Colloquial for Beginners (it teaches both beduin dialect, more Jordanian based, and urban one, more Palestinian based)

https://www.amazon.es/Hakini-Arabi-Palestinian-Jordanian-Colloquial/dp/1514274795

There is a good grammar for the developing dialect of Amman, but it is in Italian:

L’arabo parlato ad Amman. Varietà tradizionali e standardizatte

Also there a re a lot of articles on different Jordanian dialects by Heiki Palva, available at academia.edu

• Nasrani

May 20, 2020 at 6:30 am

Great Scott, man. Many thanks. This is quite a trove of information you’ve uncovered.

There goes the rest of my month!

• Ian

October 22, 2020 at 5:27 pm
    • Nasrani

October 24, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Thank you my friend. I think I had seen one of these on Amazon but decided to pass due to the hefty price tag. I may need to revisit it though!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader

sale Ends in

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds