Home Forums Egyptian Arabic Conjugation: Possessive Pronouns

Tagged: 

• Conjugation: Possessive Pronouns

Beatriz updated 1 week, 2 days ago 3 Members · 9 Posts
  • Beatriz

October 10, 2020 at 10:46 am

!هلا

I watched a video about possessive pronouns and noticed that when the teacher conjugated the word جزمة (Gazma), he did it like this: “Gazmiti”. I understand why he added the ‘T’, but I can’t understand why he added the ‘I’ after the ‘M’. Isn’t it supposed to be “Gazmti”?

• Nasrani

October 10, 2020 at 6:45 pm

<div>

!السلام لكم

When the possessive pronoun was added, was the vowel preceding “t” a short vowel kesra جَزِمِتي or a yaa‘? The kesra may have either been a mistake or for ease of pronunciation (since MSA does not allow consonant clusters as readily as English does), but I am not sure why a long vowel would have been added…

</div>

• Beatriz

October 11, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Thank you for your reply, Nasrani!

I didn’t know about this consonant clustering rule. The “I” was indeed a short kasra vowel.

• Nasrani

October 12, 2020 at 6:40 am

Happy to help!

• Matthew 

October 11, 2020 at 7:50 am

There’s a rule in Egyptian Arabic that three consonant sounds cannot appear in a cluster. A vowel has to separate them (for ease of pronunciation, as Narani said). Also, the ending ـة -a becomes ـِة -it: gazma → gazmíti It’s a short kasra sound. You also see this in an idaafa construction: شنْطِةْ إيد shanTit 2iid (handbag). BUT the kasra is omitted when the result is NOT three adjacent consonants. In the case of gazmit-, we have zm and t, so it’s obligatory, but in صورة Suura (picture), we just have r, so → صورْتي Surti. A double consonant counts as two consonants, so جِدّة gidda (grandmother) → giddíti

• Nasrani

October 11, 2020 at 3:30 pm

This rule about consonant clusters… it is violated (as are so many other rules) in English (such as in the word “strengths”), but common in other languages besides Arabic. I have heard heritage speakers of Spanish say things like “istreet” (instead of “street”), almost adding a إ to the beginning of the word. I have also heard that one way of ascertaining whether someone is from Beirut is to listen to how they say “منيح”… allegedly people from Beirut add a إ in front of the word, while those from, say, Syria do not. (I do not know how true this is, but it is something I have heard.)

I wonder how many other languages have this (or a similar) rule?

• Beatriz

October 11, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Thank you very much for the explanation, Matthew!

I tried to practice with some other words and got a little confused with the word شوكة. It ends in one consonant (ك), right? Or should I untie the ة first so it becomes ت, counting as the second consonant?

The proper conjugation for “your(m) fork” would be “Shookitak”, or “Shooktak”?

• Matthew 

October 11, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Right, so you have to take it in steps:

1. shooka (fork)

2. + -ak (your) → shookitak

3. The kasra is “unprotected”; that is, it is not stressed and if you remove it, you don’t have three consonants adjacent, just k and t, so → shuktak

By the way, notice that a long vowel cannot be followed by two consonants in Egyptian Arabic (another rule!), so long oo (or ō, similar to English bOAt) because a short u (damma)

• Beatriz

October 12, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Shukran, Matthew (:

Now I understand it!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader