Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Levantine Arabic Levantine Arabic Verbs Finding conjugations for verbs without tables

• Finding conjugations for verbs without tables

• Michael

February 11, 2020 at 3:00 am

In the Levantine Arabic verbs book, I cannot find the conjugation for تروق. In the reference, it is listed under ‘5s’ (not sure what this means too). Which table do I use as reference to replicate the conjugation? Some categories also have one T-## under the category, whereas others have more than one T-##. If there is more than one table, under each category – which one do I use to conjugate the other verbs? Thanks in advance

• Matthew 

Administrator
    February 11, 2020 at 6:35 am

For the verb, تروق, you want to reference T-12 (= table 12 on page 12). When you look up a verb in the index, you get an alphanumeric label that shows you its pattern, in this case 5s. You then go to the Index by Table Pattern and find 5s. This shows you all of the verbs from the index that follow the same pattern, including those with tables in the book, shown in bold with a table reference (T-##). The only verb in the book with the pattern 5s is تعلم (T-12), so you’ll want to use this verb to replicate the conjugation.

Please see also p. iv in the book: How to Use the Book.

I hope that answers your questions. I know the system can seem a bit confusing at first, but once you get used to it, it should be easy to find the needed tables quickly. 

• Michael

February 11, 2020 at 8:00 am

2 follow-up questions. 
      1. Suppose there are two verb tables in the index for a given pattern – like for instance in 3s with T-19 حاول and T-41 ساعد. Are the sound patterns identical or is there a difference? If the latter, which verbs in 3s follow the different patterns? 

2. Should prepositions beside certain verbs in the index be considered an exhaustive list? If not, do you have additional resources to look up these prepositions for (nuanced meanings)? 

Many thanks!

• Matthew 

Administrator
        February 11, 2020 at 9:03 am

1. The book has tables for the (arguably!) most common verbs, so sometimes there is more than one table with an identical pattern. You can see that T-19 and T-41 have identical patterns. (The only difference, in this example, is the quality of the vowel alif–transcribed two ways as ā or ē, and this depends on neighboring consonants–but the Arabic script is the same.) It’s good to choose an “anchor” verb that you already know and can relate new verbs too. For example, if you already know ساعد and how to conjugate it, and see another verb in the index that is also 3s, you can remember that it is conjugated “just like ساعد”.

2. No, the prepositions are just the most common for the meaning given. But you can sometimes find other prepositions and uses of the verbs in the example sentences. 

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader