Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Levantine Arabic Levantine Arabic Verbs Let's talk about اسم فاعل

• Let's talk about اسم فاعل

• Sam

February 4, 2020 at 3:31 am

Mar7aba folks,

I have questions about the feminine and plural اسم فاعل for a few verbs.

1) The first is تعامل. If you open the Levantine Verbs PDF to page that verb (V11), you’ll see that the feminine اسم فاعل is listed as مِتْعامَلة. However, in the final example phrase at the bottom of the page it’s written as مِتْعامْلة. Which is correct?

2) The next question I have is on verb تْفادى. According to the verb chart (V14), the feminine اسم فاعل is مِتْفادِيّة. However, the audio for it (and for the final example, which is also feminine اسم فاعل) sounds much more like مِتْفادْية. Which is correct? (Just in case the arabic isn’t clear, it’s the difference between mit-fad-diyyi and mit-fad-yi)

3) The last question I have is on verb تْمنّى According to the verb chart (V17), the plural اسم فاعل is مِتْمَنّْيِين. However, the audio for it sounds much more like مِتْمَنِّيِّين. Which is correct? (Just in case the arabic isn’t clear, it’s the difference between mit-man-yin and mit-man-niy-yin)

Yislamo!

Sam

• Sam

February 4, 2020 at 3:57 am

I just listened to the new audio tracks (thanks Nadine!) and the feminine اسم فاعل for تفادى in the final sentence sounds like مِتْفادِية (mit-fad-day). Is that the correct pronunciation? 

• Nadine 

February 4, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your questions.

The Beiruti pronounciation is used in the book. Beirut is divided into many quarters, the pronounciation might vary slightly. It is one of the smaller countries on earth, yet dialects change from one neighborhood to another. Even the same person might use two different pronounciations interchangeably and in the same sentence. For example:

ليْش) ما جيتي اليوْم، قوليلي (ليْه)؟)

1)  مِتْعامْلِة is preferred. But  مِتْعاملِة is also used.

2)  مِتْفادْيِة  is preferred. But مِتْفادِيِّة    مِتْفدايِة  are also correct.

3) مِتْمَنّْيِين is preferred. But  مِتْمَنِّيِّين is also correct.

I apologize for the confusion. Even though the pronounciations are all correct, the pronounciation of the conjugated verbs in the examples should match the ones in the table (to be easier for the learners). But as I said, as a native Lebanese, I usually alternate between  two pronounciations and this is normal among Lebanese.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader