Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Lingualism Products and Community More books in other dialects?

• More books in other dialects?

• Juanita

February 18, 2020 at 11:13 am

Hi! These Arabic books, along with the audio files, are seriously some of the best resources for learning this language!!

After listening to parts of the Dialect Sampler, I was curious if you were planning on publishing Verb or situational books in other dialects such as Sudanese, Gulf, or Iraqi (like what you have in Egyptian and Levantine)?

• This discussion was modified 8 months ago by  Matthew. Reason: to more fitting forum
  • Lingualism 

Administrator
    February 18, 2020 at 4:40 pm

I’m glad you think so, Juanita! 🙂

No current plans for the dialects you mentioned, but we’re currently working on introducing Moroccan, starting with a Moroccan Arabic version for Colloquial Arabic Vocabulary series.

• Nasrani

February 20, 2020 at 11:38 am

Jordanian would be great if possible! Or Palestinian. Even just audio files to perhaps augment Levantine reading materials.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there is surprisingly little in the way of Jordanian, and anytime I’ve found something that will teach me “Levantine” it has come with a decidedly Syrian or Lebanese bent. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Jordanian Levantine Arabic differs from Syrian Levantine; for instance, the qaaf ق, while made into a glottal stop in Syrian and Lebanese, is pronounced (albeit closer to kaaf ك) in (rural) Jordanian and Palestinian.

• Soussia

February 21, 2020 at 1:07 am

I second the request for Jordanian and/or Palestinian dialect materials!

• Alex

June 19, 2020 at 6:55 am

I’ll second the request for Gulf Arabic materials, especially given how important the Gulf region is for business and tourism. I’m hoping to visit Dubai myself in the next few years, so it would be nice to have a book like the Colloquial Arabic Vocabulary books for reference.

In the meantime, I really love the Dialect Sampler, especially the fact that it doesn’t just give vocabulary comparisons, but also whole sentences and grammatical insights such as verb conjugation. Does anyone know which dialect would be closest to Emirati? (I presume either Qatari or Bahraini)

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader