Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Language Learning Motherhood and Language Learning

• Motherhood and Language Learning

Ahmad  updated 7 months ago 4Members · 4 Posts
  • Kelsey

May 28, 2020 at 4:22 am

How do you all balance motherhood (or fatherhood) with language learning? Children require immense amount of time and attention and so does language learning. What are some tips you have to continue making process with your language journey will also being a parent?

• Lilia 

June 1, 2020 at 4:55 am

In my case, during the week, as I don’t have much time to spend on learning a new language, I listen continuously to the radio or watch the tv in the targeted language (Czech language). Then, during the weekends, my partner looks after the baby during the hours of study :)) this is how I manage to do both and Media is really helping me (radio, tv, songs, movies, etc.)

• Sonja

June 23, 2020 at 4:51 am

I agree, listening to the radio is very helpful. I also write vocabulary on small index cards that I can take with me everywhere – I keep them in the sleeve of my mobile phone. Then you can have a glance at them during the day when you have a minute to spare, waiting for the bus or standing in line at the supermarket. I find that very helpful. I think there are also apps for that purpose, but I prefer handwriting everything. You can also try to write e.g. your shopping list or to do list in the language you’re learning.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Sonja.
  • Ahmad 

June 24, 2020 at 5:37 am

Well, I’m not a father, but I find it so difficult for my students that are parents. I agree with what Lilia and Sonja have said. I can add by saying that when you’re a parent, I think you divide your time into two main divisions. One for work, and one for family. When you have time for yourself, it’s limited and you will probably tend to prioritize your interests, and sometimes learning a languages is not a priority.

But if you could find a way learn a language that will have a positive impact on either your career or your family, I think this will give you lots of motivation, and it will prioritize it.

So when choosing a language to learn, just be very specific about your learning goals.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader