Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

• Glossaries?

Adrian updated 1 week ago 4Members · 5 Posts
  • Monika

November 27, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Hello Matthew,

I just bought the new readers. They look great and the stories will be something different from my other books and I can’t wait to start on the first one.

I am just wondering whether later on there will be a glossary available perhaps for a few of them, similar to the glossary for Mido. Although there is an English translation on each page, it is not the same as a glossary. I really appreciated the one for Mido. It helped me a lot.

Thanks Matthew.

Best wishes,

Monika Soost

• Matthew 

Administrator
    November 28, 2020 at 7:47 am

Hi Monika!

No plans at present for glossaries, I’m afraid. That said, I am compiling a learner’s dictionary of Egyptian Arabic and I’ll do my best to include all of the vocabulary that appears in the readers and other Lingualism books in the dictionary.

• Adrian

January 17, 2021 at 1:26 pm

Hello, I am really looking forward to the beginner Egyptian Dictionary, I have been using the Levantine one with the Anki cards and example sentences and it is really great, so I really am wishing you all the best in producing the Egyptian version. You guys Rock!

• Monika

November 29, 2020 at 1:48 am

Hello Matthew,

I totally agree, a dictionary is so much more important. I have been searching for one for a long time without success. Once there is a proper dictionary for ECA, a glossary would no longer be needed.

Thanks Matthew.

Kind regards from a COVID-free Melbourne

(30 days with no infections after a very strict lockdown for 112 days!),

stay safe,

Monika

• Nasrani

December 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm

Late to the party, I know, but there is something called “Lughatuna” that enables you to search dictionaries in الفصحىٰ as well as Egyptian/Levantine/Maghrebi. The site is ~5 years old, so due to linguistic patterns and changes as words fall into/out of prominence, the information may not be as up to date as what you are hoping, but it couldn’t hurt to check it out.

It does require that you enter key words to search, so it’s not a glossary in the sense that you’re probably looking for, but every little bit helps I’m sure.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader