Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Arabic Modern Standard Arabic Verbs Not what I would expect

• Not what I would expect

• Jan

May 4, 2020 at 11:27 am

Verbs having و or ي as their second radical/rootletter (R2) are commonly referred to as hollow verbs. In form VIII, 3rd person masculine singular perfect this R2 shows up as a long vowel a. For example: احتاج (he has needed) for root letters (R3, R2, R1)=(ح , و , ج ). Why then would the verb (R3, R2, R1)=( ز, و , ج) have اِزْدَوَجَ for the 3rd person masculine singular perfect whereas I would expect َاِزْدَاج? Is the presence of ت) د becoming د due to the presence of ز) crucial here?

• This discussion was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Lingualism.
    • This discussion was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Lingualism.
    • This discussion was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Lingualism.
  • Matthew 

Administrator
    May 4, 2020 at 6:40 pm

I don’t have an explanation, except to say that it’s just an exception and that language isn’t always as regular/logical as we’d like it to be. It’s the only such hollow form VIII verb that maintains R2, besides doubly weak ones like استوى and احتوى. But I also don’t think the ز is the culprit, as we also have verbs such as ازداد and ازدان.

• Jan

May 5, 2020 at 12:39 am

Thanks, Matthew, for your reply. I don’t mind if there are exceptions, just wondering if there might be an underlying rule.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader

sale Ends in

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds