Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Language Learning Online tutoring

• Online tutoring

David updated 11 months ago 2Members · 4 Posts
  • Juanita

February 28, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Marhaba! I was wondering if anyone uses italki or preply for an online tutor…how’s your experience? Do they have a curriculum or do you set one? Any recommendations or tips? Shukran 

• David

February 29, 2020 at 6:16 am

I use iTalki quite a lot, most days of the week, and I take classes regularly with several teachers. In my experience, iTalki is best to get conversation practice, rather than to structure your study, which I find I generally do better on my own. However there are also a handful of teachers that may be able to build an engaging curriculum for you, if that is what you are looking for.

To choose a teacher, you should first try a few, to find the best fit for you. To get a preliminary indication of the teacher’s quality, their rating is not useful (almost all teachers on iTalki are rated 5/5 and have good comments). However, you can look at the ratio between the number of lessons and the number of students. In my experience, the best Arabic teachers on iTalki usually have a ratio above 10.

• Juanita

February 29, 2020 at 11:14 am

Thanks for the tips! Good idea to check the ratio between students and lessons. 

That’s awesome that you are taking lessons throughout the week and with different teachers. I wish I had your motivation and dedication to learning Arabic! 

• David

February 29, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for your kind words Juanita! Given how good your Levantine Arabic is, it seems to me that you have at least as much motivation to study Arabic as I do, if not more! Smiley

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader