Home Forums Arabic Suggestions for Typing Tutor program

Tagged: 

• Suggestions for Typing Tutor program

Matthew  updated 2 days, 19 hours ago 3 Members · 7 Posts
  • Kevin

November 16, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Can anyone recommend a good Typing Tutor program or website to help me practice using an Arabic Keyboard? I Generally am lazy and type Arabic on my phone as the keyboard is easier for me to see there. Or I use Yamli to type Latin letters and convert to Arabic script. I think if I just discipline myself to get over the beginning hurdle it will not be a problem. But when I taught myself English typing I used a program that introduced the keys gradually and gave me attainable goals and statistics and even provided some games with the letters. I also need to practice putting in the Harakaat with the keyboard.I am ordering stickers. I tried them before on an old laptop but they were not very clear and hard to make out visually. Again if I can just touch-type I think it will solve the problem.

• Matthew 

November 21, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I agree that it’s definitely worth your while to learn to touch type in Arabic. Keep in mind that the PC and Mac keyboards differ slightly for Arabic. Although I don’t know of a website as excellent as http://www.keybr.com (for English and Russian), here are three that have some potential and you might find useful:

HackingArabic.com

Stamina Online 6+

Sense-Lang.org

• jemuhammad

November 22, 2020 at 10:15 pm

1) I too would like to learn touch typing on Arabic keyboard. Unlike English (where every letter was separate and upper/lower cases), repetitive strikes in Arabic will connect like cursive, take on up to four forms and the many diacritic markings (for me anyway) so it will take quite some getting used to. Seems like it will be very slow unless I forgo the diacritics.

2) I bought a very good set of Arabic English keyboard stickers for $8.

All of them stayed on for two years but the keys that I tend to rest on or use the most (a,f r,v,j) began to lose ‘stickyness’ but the letters never faded and the sticker never tore. I just ordered a couple more sets (in case ‘end of the world’…jk).

• Kevin

November 23, 2020 at 2:02 am

I have tried the standard letters but I just suck at it so tend to use my phone. I hope a bit of persistence will get me rolling. But I haven’t figured out the diacritics yet. I guess it can’t be too hard. I assume the more advanced lessons of the typing tutor program will introduce them.

I was even considering a cheap Arabic keyboard as an alternative.. But will try the stickers first. I should be getting mine soon.

Kevin

• Matthew 

November 23, 2020 at 9:22 am

I’d wait until you got the letters down before messing with diacritics. But typing diacritics isn’t that tricky. They’re all on the left side of the keyboard using the SHIFT key. With practice, you’ll get it. Good luck! 😃

• Kevin

November 23, 2020 at 1:58 am

Thank you so much Matthew. The http://www.keybr.com does look really good and maybe they will add Arabic some day.

The other sites like like they might get the job done. I should be getting my stickers in the mail soon and will experiment with what works best.

I suspect once I get the ball rolling it won’t be too bad.

BTW, I am from San Francisco and think we corresponded once. Hope you are well.

Kevin

• Matthew 

November 23, 2020 at 9:18 am

They also have nice silicone keyboard skins, at least for Apple keyboards. I have one for Russian and it’s nice because I can remove it when I’m not typing in Russian. (Search “Arabic keyboard skins” on Amazon).

Sure, I remember you, Kevin. I just went back and looked at my last email to you (in January). I mentioned that I was in still in Sonora but getting ready to move. WELL… then 2020 happened, so I’m still in Sonora. 🙂 No move until this whole pandemic is over!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader

sale Ends in

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds