Lingualism Forums

Ask questions, find answers, and help others with the contents of Lingualism materials and language in general.

Home Forums Language Learning What resources do you use in your Arabic studies?

• What resources do you use in your Arabic studies?

David updated 9 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Posts
  • David

January 30, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Hello All,

I thought I would take advantage of this great new Lingualism forum to share some of my favorite resources for Arabic learning, as well as to ask about other people’s (even if we already know about Matthew’s favorites!). I have been studying Arabic for two and a half years, first MSA and more recently Levantine also. These are the resources I use most:

1) General language: I study using Al-Kitaab, 3rd edition, which I find awesome for serious self-study. Its accompanying online materials have recently been made freely accessible.

2) Conversation practice: iTalki , lots of it!

3) Reading: My favorites are Lingualism’s Mido and Romeo and Juliet, as well as a bilingual book called “Arabic Stories for Language Learners“. At the end of my first year of studying MSA, I greatly benefited from an easy, graded Arabic reader called Sahlawayhi (which may be temporarily out of print). I also like the stories by Kamel Kilani, available from the Hindawi website. I have also used Bilinguapp, a smartphone app featuring bilingual stories and their audio. Occasionally I try to read a Jordanian blog in MSA on current social and cultural issues called 7iber.

4) Listening: The most useful listening resource for me has been Lingualism’s “Arabic voices” series. A great site for videos with transcripts and translations is Playaling. I am currently watching an old TV series from Syria called Kaan yama Kaan, whose chapters combine an introduction in Levantine dialect with a tale in MSA. Regarding podcasts, for MSA I like Al Jazeera’s, in particular their podcast Rumooz about prominent personalities from the Arab world. For Syrian Levantine I like Hay el Matar, even if it is still a bit too hard for me. Finally, even if not updated since 2013, there are great Levantine videos with transcripts and commentary in the old posts of The Arabic Student blog.

5) Other Arabic learner communities: I follow Reddit’s “Learn Arabic“, where one can often find useful tips and suggestions.

Looking forward to reading about other people’s favorite resources!

David

• Juanita

January 31, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Great list here! Thanks for posting this!

Here’s some resources I use.

Books:

Along with the awesome Lingualism books, I have the Syrian Colloquial Arabic by Mary Jane Liddicoat, Olive Tree Dictionary (it’s great but it’s all phonetics), and The 101 Most Used Verbs in Spoken Arabic by Fridrik Tiedemann.

My Apps:

Mango is helpful, and it’s free through most libraries. My fav dictionaries: Lughatuna, Al-Maany, and Lisaan Masry. For MSA verb conjugations, love the CAVE app ($).

If anyone knows of a Levantive verb conjugation app, let me know! 

• David

January 31, 2020 at 11:00 pm

Thank you Juanita for your tips! I also have a copy of Tiedemann’s book, but actually I have not used it yet. Just wondering, how do you work with this book? Do you use it as a reference book? Do you study it systematically from cover to cover, one verb at a time?

• Juanita

February 1, 2020 at 1:45 pm

Ahlan David! I wish I could study systematically! 🙂

Generally I pick a list of verbs that I like and study those. What I really like about this book is that it has the prepositions that go with the verb. Sometimes the preposition changes the entire meaning of the sentence. Another helpful tool is the accompanying audio CDs with the sample sentences- I really enjoy hearing it in English then Arabic.

• David

February 1, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Marhabtain Juanita! Thanks for your comment, I now feel motivated me to take the book out of the shelf and work a bit with it 🙂

• Pascal

February 1, 2020 at 1:14 am

Another very helpful ressource: https://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/arabic

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
ajax-loader

sale Ends in

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds