Track 1 - How do you get around?
Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali (كمان شْوَيّ عن حالي kamên šwayy 3an ɧāli A Little More About Myself) will be of tremendous help to independent language learners who want to develop their conversational skills and increase their Levantine (Lebanese and Syrian) Arabic vocabulary.
Very simply, Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali presents the results of a survey given to 10 Levantine Arabic speakers, five from Lebanon and five from Syria. Each of the 36 sections in the book begins with a question from the survey followed by the 10 responses and a breakdown of the vocabulary. Translations in both Modern Standard Arabic and English follow. Each section concludes with a page where you are encouraged to give your own answer to the question using newly learned words and phrases.
This book is the second of a two-part series. If you are not yet at an intermediate level of Levantine Arabic, it is advised that you complete the first book, Shwayy ‘An Haali (which includes even the most basic words in the chapter glossaries) before moving on to Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali. In Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali, the responses are typically somewhat longer than those in the first book.
For more advanced learners, the texts appear again in the back of the book without voweling (tashkeel) or translations (Appendix B), to provide a more challenging reading experience without distractions. Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) translations are also given for learners who are more proficient in MSA and can benefit from comparing the similarities and differences between it and Levantine Colloquial Arabic (LCA).
The 36 Questions in Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali:
- How do you get around?
- What are you studying or what did you study in college? Or, what did you study after high school?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- What did you do yesterday?
- What can be found [what is there] in your neighborhood?
- How is your family? Do you have a big family?
- Do you like traveling?
- What did you do this week?
- When did you last go to the movies?
- Do you like to cook?
- Where do you do your [grocery] shopping?
- What was your first ever job?
- What really annoys you?
- Do you like to read? Why? / Why not?
- Can you describe your appearance?
- What was your favorite subject at school?
- When was the last time you worked hard?
- What do you do when you hang out with your friends?
- What’s the most useful thing you possess?
- Where is the most beautiful place you have been?
- What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
- What’s the best show currently on TV?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction books?
- What restaurant do you eat at most?
- Do you care about fashion? What style of clothes do you usually wear?
- How often do you stay up past 2 a.m.?
- Would you like to be famous?
- What kind of house do you live in?
- When do you feel the happiest?
- What do you do after you get up in the morning?
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is the character trait that you value the most in someone?
- What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
- What is your dream job?
- Do you like children and pets?
- Who would you like to talk to right now and what would you say to them?
Download a Sample
Not sure if Kameen Shwayy ‘An Haali is right for you? Download a free sample of this PDF eBook that includes dozens of pages for an extended preview. See how the eBook looks on your screen and how it prints out. You can download the accompanying audio for the whole book for free.
MP3s are available to download and stream free of charge.
To access the audio, you need a password, which you receive when you sign up to our mailing list. The password is also given, for your convenience, in email announcements from Lingualism.
If you have not already signed up, click here.
Enter your password below: