Track 1 - Esraa's Introduction
In Egyptian Arabic Voices, you will meet:
Egyptian Arabic Voices is designed to help you improve your comprehension of Egyptian Arabic by using its audio component alongside the guided exercises in the book.
Six native speakers from the greater Cairo region have each contributed six “audio essays” on various topics, which in total make up the 36 segments found in this book. The contributors were recorded speaking naturally and spontaneously, without reading prepared texts. The audio essays were then transcribed in Arabic script and phonemic transcription and translated into English. Studying these texts is a unique opportunity to better understand the patterns, usage, and idiosyncrasies of Arabic as spoken by Egyptians today.
Each segment consists of:
- exercises to sharpen your listening skills and increase how much you can understand, whatever your level.
- in-chapter answers to the exercises (no having to flip back and forth to the back of the book).
- verbatim transcripts of the audio with side-by-side English translations
- lined sections for taking notes and recording new vocabulary
- cultural and linguistic notes
- web links to articles and videos related to the segment