The language of the media in Egypt is Modern Standard Arabic. But this only means that the news is published in MSA; Egyptians still discuss news topics in Egyptian Arabic, and this is where this book comes into play. The News in Egyptian Arabic will expose you to a variety of topics that take you beyond everyday vocabulary and help you discuss the news and express yourself intelligently in natural, spoken Arabic.
The materials in this book are suitable for independent learners and those studying with the guidance of a teacher. The articles are each presented in several formats to help you with your learning goals.
Each unit is organized as follows:
- The Main Text (without tashkeel)
- Key Words (with a translation matching exercise)
- The Article (with tashkeel)
- Comprehension Questions
- Discussion Questions
- Expressions and Structures (a multiple-choice exercise)
- Answer Key (with an English translation of the article, and the article in phonemic transcription)
- Notes (a lined page for you to take notes at the end of each unit)